PSI’s Photobioreactors are used for precise phototrophic cultivation of algae and cyanobacteria. They feature a unique combination of the cultivator and monitoring device. Light power and spectral composition as well as the temperature and aeration gas composition can be set with a high accuracy. In addition, cultivation conditions can be dynamically varied according to a user defined protocol. Light, temperature, and gas composition can oscillate with various amplitudes and frequencies. The growth of the cultures is monitored by the integrated densitometer (OD 720) that measures light scattering at 720 nm. Chlorophyll content of the culture can also be monitored continuously by the differences of optical densities at 680 and 720 nm (NDVI). The instantaneous physiological state of the culture is measured by the Photosystem II quantum yield (Fm’-Fs)/Fm’.
All PSI Photobioreactors have a flat-vessel design that enables bringing uniform illumination over the whole volume of cultivated culture. The Photobioreactors are currently manufactured in four standard versions differing in the volume of their cultivation vessels: 400 ml, 1000 ml, 25 L, and 120 L.
- Large-Scale Photobioreactor: Large-volume bioreactors are manufactured with respect to customer’s specific needs and they come with a number of useful accessories. Two basic versions feature:
– 25-liter cultivation tank
– 120-liter cultivation tank
- Photobioreactor FMT-150: Photobioreactors FMT 150/400 and FMT 150/1000 feature a unique combination of the cultivator and computer controlled monitoring device. FMT 150/400 and FMT 150/1000 differ in the capacity of their cultivation vessels – 400 ml and 1000 ml respectively. Both Photobioreactor models may be supplied with a number of useful accessories – sensors, stirrers, pumps, etc.
- Multi-Cultivator MC-1000: Multi-Cultivator MC 1000 serves for small scale cultivation of algae, bacteria or cyanobacteria. The instrument represents a perfect solution in applications requiring diverse experimental variants. In an ideal configuration, the high-throughput part of the experiments is performed in the MC 1000 and the results are finalized in our FMT 150.
PSI’s AlgaeTrons are floor standing incubated shakers that provides well-defined conditions for growing algae and cyanobacteria. Intuitive programming allows the simple control of timing, light intensity, light characteristics, temperature, and shaking power.
- AlgaeTron AG 130-ECO: A floor standing incubated shaker that provides well-defined culture conditions for growing algae and cyanobacteria in Petri dishes or Erlenmeyer flasks. It is equipped with a large, easy-to-read display screen clearly showing operating parameters and actual values. Intuitive programming allows multiple parameter changes to timing, light intensity, light characteristics, temperature, and shaking power.
- AlgaeTron AG 230: A floor standing incubated shaker that provides well-defined uniform environment for controlled growing of algae, cyanobacteria and plant tissue cultures in Petri dishes or Erlenmeyer flasks. AlgaeTron AG 230 is designed with three independently illuminated tiers of shelving maximizing tissue culture area. Illumination of each shelf is separately controllable in intensity, mode and timing according to user’s defined protocol. AG 230 is designed with minimal footprint size that makes it ideal for laboratories with limited space. AlgaeTron AG 230 may be supplied with up to three integrated orbital shakers, each with loading capacity of 5 kg and rotation speed range of 30 to 500 RPM.
PSI’s Cultivation Shelves are height-adjustable shelves, manufactured with LED-based illumination, which can serve for controlled cultivation of algae. The system consists of illuminated shelves and a lighting control unit, which enables full light control in intensity, modulation and timing.